Friday, July 11, 2014

Life Without a Purpose

Ok...that title is a little dramatic sounding.

First of all, don't worry, everything's fine here in my world.  I've just been thinking and feeling this lately, and I'd like to tell you a little bit about what it's really like for this teacher during the summer.

via
Now, before I get some backlash about how lucky I am to have my summers off, or how teachers don't deserve summers off, let me clarify that I am NOT complaining.  This is just the type of conflict I go through every year.

For starters, I spend January on counting down the days until summer vacation.  Sure, there's a lot of work left to do and a lot left to teach, but January-March (and often April) in Pennsylvania is COLD.  It's after the Christmas high that I realize I need warmth and sunshine to function as a normal human being again.  Once it does warm up in May, that's it.  No one (teachers or students) wants to be in school any more.  Then summer comes, and as the above ecard states, I have no idea what day it is.

Apparently, it's Friday.  And as I'm writing this it's 9:40 PM.  Now, during the school year, I like to stay up late on Fridays, but often, I'm falling asleep on the couch at this time.

I'm. Wide. Awake.

And I'm hungry.

Again.

I digress.

Allow me to share with you the pros and cons of summer vacation for me:

Pros:
1. I can obviously take a nice long vacation, as you have spent the last couple of weeks reading.
2. I can go to bed when I want.
3. I can wake up when I want.
4. My house is clean....ish.
5. Laundry is always done.
6. I have time to blog.
7. I get to read!!!
8. I actually like going to the gym (probably because there's nothing else to do).
9. I can do what I want when I want.
10. Lots of time to work and prepare for the upcoming school year!

via


Cons:
1. I actually do not function well without a schedule.  Do I hate getting up at 5:45 AM?  YES!  If school started at noon, I would be in much better shape.  :-p  My point is that without something that I have to do, I find myself all over the place.
2. I'm tired all day, but wide awake at night.
3. I have no idea what day (or date) it is 85% of the time.
4.
via
5. By the time I wake up and get moving, the day is almost done.  

Scott's swing shift work schedule doesn't help me at all.  I find myself operating closer to his schedule, which totally messes up my sleeping patterns, too.  For example, he slept almost all day one time last week.  He had to go to work the next MORNING.  We went to the gym at almost midnight because he couldn't go back to sleep, and I was wide awake.

I will never complain about my summers off.  I LOVE it.  I just wish I could find a way to force myself into a routine!

Any fellow teachers (or stay at home wives) have suggestions?? 

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I think setting an alarm for a reasonable time like 8am would help and planning to be somewhere by 9am will get you out of bed. For me, Scott leaves at 5:15 for work, the dogs get up and then I cannot go back to sleep, so I usually watch t.v. until 7 or so and then I get up. Do some crafty projects or something. That's keeping me busy.
However, last night, I was in bed at 8:30. I'm not proud of this. I feel so much better today because I went to bed early!

Susannah said...

My parents are (I guess my mom WAS...) teachers and it shocked me when I realized not all adults got the summer off. ;-) I hope you find your summer purpose soon. ;-)

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs