Thursday, September 10, 2015

Stuff & Things 9/10: Education Edition

Stuff, Things, etc.

Hi everyone!

I've been scarce around these parts lately, so I thought I'd take a moment to link up with Kristin this week!


  • A new school year is under way, and it's off to a good start.  So far, this is a nice group of kiddos!  Some of them even brought me cards and gifts for my birthday even though I really didn't mention it or make a big deal of it.
  • Speaking of school, for the first time, I had a group choose to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as one of their novels this year!  I'm super excited to be giving this brand-new unit a try! 
    I covertly took this picture while the students were working in their groups.  If we're friends on Instagram, you might have seen this with the caption: "Happiness is: Students reading Harry Potter in class!! #hpforever"
  • Tonight is our Open House.  I'm stuck here at work until 7:30 tonight.  On the bright side, I get to have dinner with my bestie after work!
  • I have decided to take a class.  As per some big wigs in education somewhere, we now only need to have a formal observation in PA every 3 years.  The other two years, we need to do some sort of project.  Last year, I completed a portfolio based on a math strategy I was implementing after attending a conference.  This year, I decided I was in the mood to take a class, and I figured that I would kill two birds with one stone by completing a self-directed research project.  I found a class about working with gifted students in the regular ed classroom through Learners Edge.  One area in which we are lacking at my school is growing and enriching our gifted/advanced learners.  We are focused on our struggling students because that is our largest population, and advanced students get lost in the shuffle because they'll "be fine" no matter what!
With all of that being said, it's time for me to check back in with my reading groups!

What's up with you lately??


2 comments:

ap said...

Happy birthday to you!!! I work with high school kids so each day is a bit of preschool and a bit of lame drama but always tons of fun. Best of luck on your class. Many people don't understand the stress that comes along with teaching (reviews, projects, CEU's that sneak up on you...) Best of luck in everything :) Over from Joey's link up!

Sarah Alway said...

I'm glad your school year is off to a great start! Maybe someday when my kid is in school I'll finally break down and read Harry Potter. ;-)

Post a Comment

 
Content Rebeckann's Random Thoughts | Design Poppiness Designs